The Magic of Beginnings




 I have to admit since arriving in Canada I have had the odd daydream about doing this childless... my mind turns over the thoughts, 'wouldn't I be having such a fun time! Eating out, sleeping late, exploring further than the nearest corner before hearing, I need to go to the toilet!'. It's a bit of a rough gig for the kids too. Most of our focus has been on buying cars, a house and warm clothing so that we don't all die over the winter - literally. Finley started having pretend play dates with his buddies back home and Primrose has developed a longing look that can't mean anything else but 'pick me up!'.

We are just at the start I keep reminding myself. And the start has lots of the magic in it.

When we arrived we were met with the peak of Autumn. Wow. Everywhere we looked the leaves were changing and falling, creating a magic wonderland of colour and beauty. I've really never seen anything like it before. It's breath taking. The air is crisp and in Halifax, everywhere you look there is water, so the air and the leaves and the water combine for the picture perfect 'fall' that I've only ever seen in pictures. Halloween suddenly makes sense too since by that point half the trees are bare and everything feels a little spooky! Really experiencing the seasons is something as an Australian I know I am going to really love.

The fun and frustration of difference gives Levi and I lots to talk about. Whether it's shock at pedestrians having right of way and therefore stepping out in front of your car at every opportunity, or joy at discovering they have my shampoo here, everyday is sure to bring something new.

Some awesome discoveries have been:

Bulk Barn - honestly we will live there. It's a store that has 100's of barrels of nuts, dried fruit, flours, seeds, chocolate covered pretzels (my favourite), anything you could think of really and you scoop up how much you want in a bag. It sounds mundane, it's not, it's fantastic.

Pete's is another amazing food gathering place. Think boutique grocery store of your dreams with an old timer playing rag on the piano. Best shopping experience of my life.

This is all starting to revolve around food but I have to add that Canadians do baked goods really well. How many times in Australia do you go to a bakery with great expectations and end up with a weird tasting custard tart? I don't think we will have that problem here, I'm not sure they even make custard tarts but that's beside the point : )

The shops are open til 9pm every night - what?! Perfect.

Water is delicious here and my hair feels amazing after I wash it.

Canadians talk as much, if not more than I do. They use a LOT of words to convey their point, so I kind of feel like I've found my people.

I think I may have to dedicate an entire post to this topic but for now let me say my love of scarves can finally be realised, because they are no longer an accessory, they are necessity. So basically the possibilities are endless for fall and winter combinations. I knew I was holding on to 40 scarves for a reason!

The frustrations mainly revolve around learning how to do things a different way, like drive, go grocery shopping, get car rego and insurance or figure out how the preschool system works. Probably the most difficult thing I've done is try to take the kids swimming. There was no; park your pram on the side of the pool, strip off and jump in. The weather is also very deceiving. I'm use to assuming it is fairly warm out if I can see the sun shining, um not in Canada, ha ha.

Church has been wonderful. We have been wholeheartedly embraced. We had three separate invites to dinner on the one night! It's the most beautiful thing to be a part of a world wide gospel family that really takes you in. I know that we will never feel alone here.

Overall Halifax gets the thumbs up from me. I can see we are going to have an amazing time here. I'm looking forward to the initial admin being out of the way and settling into life. We are pretty close to making an offer on a house we love and we just bought a second car today. Slowly but surely it's all coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment