Uncle Edward comes to stay


Levi and I both have an eight year gap between us and our youngest sibling. Those siblings really are the apple of our eyes' - it must be something about being the baby of the family that endears them to us so particularly... it might also be that they are two of the sweetest people we know. One of those people is Edward, Levi's youngest brother.

I knew Edward long before I knew Levi, when he was just a young teenage boy. The things I remember most clearly about Edward from those days were his height and that the girls would flock to him. All without saying a word! The strong, silent type. I never imagined back then that one day he would be my brother, and I his sister.

Since Levi and I moved to Nelson Bay, Edward comes and spends a few weeks with us a couple of times each year, For the most part Levi has to work, leaving Edward and I to one another. It took us a little while to find our groove. With my chatter and his reserve we made for a funny pair at first. I would always be doling out advice and direction, putting him to task around the house and making him do things like exercising at the pool! Edward complied but I'm not sure he was always to happy about it. Thinking about it now not much has changed with me - I'm still bossing him about when he comes to stay, but we are comfortable with one another and most of all I think we understand and appreciate each other.

On this visit, his last to Nelson Bay I asked him as I always do what he would like to do during his stay. The list was: eat at a variety of restaurants and learn to sew. Eating rightfully takes front and center and we are often the beneficiaries of Edwards incredible kindness as he treats us to dinner - thanks Edward! But the highlight for me this visit was teaching him to sew his own pair of pajamas and watching how thrilled he was to be learning the skill. I see many handmade, colourful suits in his future. It also wouldn't be a visit here without a deep and meaningful and this time we ( we meaning I : )) spoke a lot about being our best selves. Who do we want to be? And are we making steps, even little ones, every day to make it so. These thoughts are on my mind at the moment. I'm conscious of not remaining still, making sure I'm making some progress, however small to becoming who I envision for myself. I want that for Edward too.

Edward is a fantastic uncle. Finley told anyone who would listen that his uncle was coming to stay. They have great fun together and Finley wants to be tall just like Edward when he becomes a 'big man'. Edward also participated in the blessing of Primrose. I felt very touched at the sight of the important men in her life surrounding her with love and blessings from above. She might not know more than cuddles and warmth from you at this point in her life Edward but she will grow to love you just as Finley does, as we all do.









4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found it Yolanda, I was planning on sending you the link to the blog. I'd love to hear how you are all doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute to Edward. I love him very much as well. Obviously Finley does and he talks about Edward to me whenever I am with him. Pam

    ReplyDelete