Still Alice – Lisa Genova


Brilliant. Read it, read it, read it.
Still Alice is beautiful, heartfelt and perfectly sincere. It follows the journey of Alice, a 50-year-old Harvard Psychology Professor, wife and mother of three through her symptoms, diagnoses and life with early onset Alzheimer’s Disease. It’s told  in such a powerful way that you are not only educated with each turn of the page but deeply effected by the realities of this life changing condition. It’s an innately truthful tale. People with the disease have commented that Lisa Genova perfectly captured the emotions and realities of it and that is what is so touching. It feels so real.
“She wished she had cancer instead. She’d trade Alzheimer’s for cancer in a heartbeat. She felt ashamed for wishing this, and it was certainly a pointless bargaining, but she permitted the fantasy anyway. With cancer she’d have something she could fight. There was the chance that she could win. Her family and the community at Harvard would rally behind her battle and consider it noble. And even if defeated in the end, she’d be able to look them knowingly in the eye and say goodbye before she left.
Alzheimer’s disease was an entirely different kind of beast. There were no weapons that could slay it…And while a bald head and a looped ribbon were seen as badges of courage and hope, her reluctant vocabulary and vanishing memories advertised mental instability and impending insanity… She didn’t want to become someone people avoided and feared.” Page 94
 Before Alice is diagnosed, her symptoms start to show themselves in really common-place ways. She forgets what a name on her to-do list means, she forgets words she knows well and lecture material she was once familiar with becomes vague. This was the stuff that scared me. Suddenly I was very aware of things I couldn’t remember and truly if Alzheimer’s was contagious, and you could catch it from a book – I got it. For a week after reading it, I’ve been second guessing myself. For example, I discovered two mangoes in my handbag. I know that I bought mango/mangoes from a street vendor and know that they were $2.50 each. I look in my wallet and I have $7.50, I know that I had a $10 note so reason suggests that I have only bought one. So where did the other mango come from? Did I get it from home? Did I take someone elses from the work fridge? – I literally have no idea! In this way the author managed to achieve one of her major goals; educating people so that they are aware of the symptoms and can get early diagnoses. I’m confident I’m nothing more than paranoid, but I’m grateful that the author wrote in such a way that makes you really question yourself.
It’s not an overly sad book despite its sad subject matter. The love of her children and the relationship she develops with her youngest daughter highlights the bond that holds fast within families, particularly when tragedy hits.  As Alice progresses to the later stages of the disease the book really conveys a sense of peace. Behind the veil of lost memory, everything that makes her up, her essence, her spirit is still there. For me it makes me grateful for my faith that the ailments we face in this life, mental and physical, will be taken away in the next. It suggests to me that everything we face in this life is there to teach and strengthen us.
This book is a triumph in so many ways. It has been endorsed by the National Alzheimer’s Association for its powerful and accurate portrayal of the disease. The language is beautiful, natural and enjoyable and considering if was originally self published this is all the more impressive. Overall I consider it an absolute treasure, a book I will never forget.
Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment